Photos Galore!

Friday, February 22, 2008

The Long READ to Freedom

So I am on page 612 or so of Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela. Only 13 pages left!!! And only 1 year and four months after starting...

Of course I loved it--it was an amazing inside look into the coming about of the end of apartheid in South Africa, from the viewpoint of a dedicated man who sacrificed his life to its cause! I guess it just took me forever to read because I normally don't sit down long enough to read anything over a page long. Is that why they refer to active people as 'dumb jocks'--because they're too busy keeping their body healthy to read War and Peace? This term is obviously just mean-spirited! Don't persecute jocks! ...Harmless, physically fit people is all they are!

Justin is one of those who likes to tease me about these things. He would have probably finished this book in three days, tops. All I have to say is: "book nerds should not make fun of active people, aka 'dumb jocks'." I have powerful friends.

Anyways, the point of this whole blog is that this book is awesome and I highly recommend reading it--even if it takes 1 1/2 years. It was worth it. ...And Mandela is one of my heroes. Take that, book nerds! I guess I'm one of you, now.

No comments: